Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Finding the Perfect Interview Outfit

I love fashion.  I think it's a fun way to express yourself, to show your personality and your sense of style.  What you wear says something to the world, giving off a first impression based on what others see.  Clothing can you make you look professional and confident, bold and spunky or it can give off negative vibes about self-esteem.

This is true in every area of the Distinguished Young Women competition.  Before the judges even hear you speak in the interview, they have seen you walk in and their first impression comes from what you decide to wear.  So make it great!!

First of all, the outfit should be appropriate and modest.  Your interview clothes should be suited for a job interview, with skirts or dresses at a conservative length.

Wear comfortable shoes.  You will be standing during the 10 minute interview.

Pick a color that complements your skin tone and that isn't too bright.


Good news!! You have options!!



1) The "pageant" look

This is the interview suit that I had made for the Florida state program.  I knew I really wanted this color because it was light and soft and not too common.  The material was satin, which looks more shiny in the picture than in real life.  I paired this with plain nude pumps (from Payless!!) and I curled my hair lightly.

This is not what I ended up wearing for Nationals, but it's still an idea of what you can do.  My committee and I decided that this was more of a traditional pageant interview suit than what we wanted to go for.


2) The traditional suit

The concept of a plain colored suit is very versatile and also very traditional.  If you go for a plain colored suit, it may be better to opt for a regular fabric as opposed to satin, but some sheen would be great, too!!  Pick a color that will look nice on your skin tone.  I prefer shades of blue and shades of red for me, especially because I have dark hair and pale skin.  If you have a tan complexion and perhaps lighter hair, you could pull off pastels such as turquoise, coral or even cream or tangerine.  Find something unique!

Also, it's perfectly fine to wear a black suit if you choose to do so.  If you do, I would recommend adding color with a blouse or maybe do a black suit dress and colored jacket or cardigan.



 3) The suit dress

This is more along the lines of what I wore for my Nationals interview.  I decided to go with a suit dress, which hit at the right length above my knee, and then I paired it with a jacket.  (I think everything looks more professional with a suit jacket, or at least a sweater.)  I really like this red peplum dress, which has a tasteful neckline and length and is not too fitted.  I would pair it with either a black or beige jacket, depending on the shoes.  Speaking of which, I love her T-strap heels in the picture!  So a dress is always a good option if you don't want to go for a traditional suit.  Just make sure that it is still made from quality professional material and that it is not too fitted.


4) The skirt and blouse

This is another great option!!  I love the tasteful length of the skirt in the picture, but I do think it looks a little fitted for a "distinguished young woman."  But the blouse is beautiful and adds a professional flair to the outfit.  I would recommend minimal jewelry, however, so bangles are not ideal, but the belt is a delicate touch that modernizes this classic ensemble.  You could do a skirt in virtually any color, but I would probably recommend a more neutral blouse, unless you have a jacket over it, in which case it might be nice to have a soft pattern or color.

As you can see, the options are endless!! Finding an interview outfit may seem daunting, but all it takes is a little bit of prep work to find out what will be good for your skin tone and body type.  Ideally, you'll already have what you need in your closet!  I took to shopping everywhere to look for my affordable fashion, anywhere from the mall to thrift stores.  You can truly find that magical outfit without breaking the budget.  Some good places to check for traditional pieces are Marshalls, Ross and Dress Barn.  All department stores carry these classics as well.  I got my Calvin Klein black interview dress for Nationals from Macy's and my red jacket from Forever 21!

Below are some other great interview fashion options:

I love the navy blue color in this suit!!  It's very classy while not as harsh as black.




Both of these options are fun and youthful - but the skirt could be a little longer.

This is another dress and jacket option with a flare skirt.  The color is a beautiful shade!

This is from a Distinguished Young Women competition several years ago.  This ensemble is a way to combine style and personality...though the polka dots are a little much for me, it worked for her!  Find what works for you. ;)

This is similar to what I wore for Nationals but it has a short-sleeved jacket, which makes it look very contemporary.

This is another traditional interview suit.  I love the shade of blue - but I would pair it with nude pumps.

Have fun picking out your interview fashion!  Which of these options is your favorite?

Blessings,

~Ciera

3 comments:

  1. Would any of these work? I'm competing at the county level right now http://www.modcloth.com/shop/search?keyword=sophisticated%20situation

    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/cove-conference-dress

    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/teaching-classy-dress-in-navy-dots

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to fuck the sexy bitch in the navy blue skirt suit

    ReplyDelete