Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Preparing for the Fitness Routine

Okay, I'll admit.  Fitness was not my favorite category.  When I first became the Distinguished Young Woman of Florida, I could barely do 10 good push-ups.  Now, however, I am much stronger and the lessons I learned as I was in training have helped me immensely!

How well you do is often dependent on the difficulty of the routine.  At state, I knew that my muscles were toned but that my endurance was lower than it should be.  Also, I was not nearly as flexible as most of the dancers.

So how do you prepare??


1) Build up your endurance!!  
This takes some time.  You be able to jog a mile without getting too out of breath.  Jogging and running get your heart rate up and condition your body to push the limits and endure strenuous activity.  If you can do at least a mile, you're on the right track!

2) Practice the basics.
Most routines will include some form of what I call the fitness basics: pushups, crunches and lunges.  So it's a good idea to start practicing these.  If you, like me, maybe aren't the best at pushups, that's okay!  Just start doing as many as you can everyday until you have built up the strength to do more.  Every routine is different, but there's a good chance yours will include the basics.

3) Eat healthy!
I know it's tempting to reach for the snacks that are loaded in sodium or saturated fats.  But if you give your body good food, you will feel better and perform better.  Especially in the days leading up to competition, it's a good idea to avoid heavy food items and to resort to lean protein, vegetables, fruits and healthy grains.  Also, drink plenty of water!

4) Practice.
For the state and national programs, contestants received online videos of the fitness routine so we could be familiar with it before we arrived on the first day.  If this happens, take the time to really learn it.  This is to your best interest!!  Find out what's difficult for you and practice making it smoother.  Then you can learn those trouble spots.  In my state competition, I always messed up the V-sit, as pictured above.  I could never find just the right balance...but I practiced incessantly and managed to not topple over on stage!

5) Record yourself.
It's always helpful to watch yourself so you can see where you need more work.  Take videos as you rehearse so that you can see if maybe you need to practice core strength or balance.

6) Get feedback.
Ask your friends or family to watch you either practice your basics or perform the routine, if you have access to it.  They want to help you and they usually have good advice.



Tips for performing fitness on stage:
1) Pull your hair back!!
This was my main problem at the at-large program.  My hair kept falling into my face whenever I moved and I found it very distracting—I'm sure the judges did, too.  
2) SMILE!!
It might not be that fun to do pushups or crunches, but pretend you're having the time of your life.  It makes it look like the routine is easy for you and the judges want to know that you're having fun.  And when you start to smile, you start to relax and enjoy yourself more.

                     
 One last piece of advice.
You don't have to be perfect at fitness.  If I had to pick any category that was the most challenging for me, it would be fitness, and not because I didn't train intensely but because I just simply wasn't as flexible or experienced as the dancers or gymnasts.  This competition is not about being flawless in every category...it's about being the best you can be.  It's about striving for excellence in various skill sets, becoming well-rounded and distinguished.  The fitness component represents one of the pillars in the Distinguished Young Women program, Be Healthy, from our national outreach "Be Your Best Self."


Trust me, you don't have to be in "perfect shape" to compete, nor do you have to be incredibly strong or fit.  But it is ideal to start practicing now.    The goal of this aspect of competition is to challenge you to grow in strength and endurance.  You will definitely learn a great deal along the way about living out a healthy lifestyle.  

Just remember to have fun.  I took to viewing fitness more as a production dance, which helped me to enjoy myself on stage.  Focus on doing your personal best and you'll have a rewarding experience!

Have a "distinguished" day!!

Blessings,

~Ciera

No comments:

Post a Comment