Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How Distinguished Young Women Changed My Life Part 1

In August of 2012, I thought that I had my senior year perfectly planned out.  I had my schoolwork and my extracurriculars and I was busy applying to colleges and writing—and rewriting—application essays.

If you would have told me that less than a year later, I would be singing on stage in Mobile, Alabama for the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, I wouldn't have believed you.  

But everything changed when one day I overheard my mother say on the phone, "Ciera would love to do that!  How do we sign up?"  At the time, I had never really heard of Distinguished Young Women and I was skeptical to invest my time in another organization.

So, what is Distinguished Young Women?  DYW, formerly America's Junior Miss, is a scholarship program for high school girls that challenges participants to be their best selves and to excel in all that they do.  After doing some research, my mother and I discovered that this is the largest scholarship program in existence for high school girls.  I decided to compete in the central Florida at-large program because of the incredible scholarship opportunities.


After a day of learning the fitness routine and the self-expression movements, participating in a ten minute interview and then competing in front of a panel of judges, I was exhausted and yet exhilarated.  Competition is a great incentive that propels us to meet our full potential.  The rush of performing and speaking in front of an audience filled my heart with joy—and from that moment, I was hooked.

Several weeks later, I received news that I would represent the city of Orlando at the state program for the chance to become the national
representative of Florida.

The competition consists of 5 elements: scholastics, self-expression, interview, talent and fitness.  My talent was vocal performance and I sang the song "Take Me Back to Manhattan" from Anything Goes.  As a competitive speaker and debater, my favorite portions were the interview and the on-stage question.

On Saturday January 5, after weeks of practice and preparation, I was named the Distinguished Young Woman of Florida 2013.  I was shocked and incredibly honored to hear my name called.  I had been given the amazing opportunity to represent my state, this program and the other contestants, who I had come to love dearly.  Distinguished Young Women provided me with a chance to be a part of something larger than myself and it gave me the confidence to learn from my weaknesses and polish my strengths.


After the state program, Distinguished Young Women became a central part of my life. As part of a national platform, I was now presented with the chance to speak in venues across my state, at conferences and conventions, churches and schools.


Delivering my "Be Your Best Self" presentation to Sand Lake Elementary School

About a year ago, I had never heard of Distinguished Young Women.  Now, I can honestly say that it has changed my life.  Through the program, I was encouraged and affirmed for my gifts and I was challenged to grow personally by committing myself to follow my life motto of "do hard things".  I now have a new network of connections and new skills I never would have acquired.  I now have friends from across my state and from across my country, as well as experiences that have helped shape who I am today.  Most importantly of all, I had the chance to make a difference in my community, namely through sharing the Be Your Best Self message, which encourages young students to be responsible, be healthy, be studious, be ambitious and be involved.

Over the next few weeks as we countdown to the central Florida at-large program, and then to the 2014 state program where we will have a new representative, I will be sharing about my experience with stories from the state and National programs.  I'll also be giving advice on everything from having a successful interview to answering any on-stage question with poise.

Have a "distinguished" day!

Blessings,

~Ciera Horton

No comments:

Post a Comment