Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Onstage Question: How to Prepare for Self Expression

The lights dim.
The music starts.
The emcee calls your name and you step up to the microphone for your question.  Your heart is racing as you stare about at the audience and smile.

What do you do?
Self-Expression is one of the most important categories because it shows the contestant's ability to think and articulate herself under pressure.  It isn't easy, but it also isn't as hard as it may seem. 
So...just how do you deliver a stellar self expression answer?



Rule #1.  Don't panic.

I'm not kidding when I say that this is the single most important aspect of delivering a self expression answer.  Stay calm and relax.  You can take ample time to read your question, breathe and compose yourself.

Rule #2.  Don't ramble.

Keep your answer short and sweet!  My answer at the at-large program was probably about 20 seconds long and at state it was about 30 seconds, though the ideal would be 30-60 seconds.  I presented my point, backed it up with an explanation and then closed.  Keep it succinct and it will be easier for you to process what you're trying to say. 

Rule #3.  SMILE!!!   
Even if you don't like your question, don't let us as the audience know that.  Smile the entire time during the movement routine and when it's not your turn to speak.  When you walk up for your question, stand with poise and good posture and have a pleasant expression on your face.  Even if you get nervous, smiling will make you (and the audience) feel more relaxed.
Rule #4.  Review your online bio.

You should know what you put on your bio sheet and why.  For example, if you said that "The Waste Land" is your favorite poem, you should know who wrote it and why it's your favorite.  Your answer shouldn't be something like, "Oh, I just picked it because we read it in English class and I kind of liked it."  Your question will probably be from your biographical information.

Rule #5.  Speak slowly.

My problem was always that I spoke too fast.  As a debater, I would quickly outline my point in my head and I tried to speak as fast as my mind could process the information...but sometimes this meant that I finished my point too quickly.  Speaking slowly will make you seem more calm on stage.

Rule #6.  Be personal and personable.

Self expression really is what its name says...it is a chance for you to express yourself.  Share about who you are and what your passions are!  Let the judges see you as an individual.  If applicable, it's a good idea to share a quick story or something that influenced you.

Rule #7.  Move with grace.

Your score is not simply based upon the quality of your answer.  You are also judged on poise and grace.  Practice "the walk."  Make sure that you are comfortable walking in the shoes you will wear.  Always keep your shoulders back and your head up.  Keep your hands by your side and be conscious of your hands when you walk.


This is a video of my self expression solo spotlight in the movement routine from Nationals. This was during the Top 10 competition.  Notice the walk and the stance I take at the end.

It may be a good idea to record yourself to see how you walk.  Those details can make your routine seem more polished and "distinguished."


Remember to have fun with your question and don't stress out over it.  

Here are some sample questions using things I put on my bio sheet:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is your favorite novel.  Which character do you identify with the most and why?

You want to be a novelist.  Where do you get the inspiration for most of your writing?

You stated that you are most proud of how your generation strives to make a difference in the world. How do you think people in your generation make a difference and how do you personally make a difference?

You were a coordinator for the Do Hard Things conference. What is this conference and how has it made an impression on your life?

Most questions will be about topics from your bio but will have you synthesize and explain how the topic relates to you or how it relates to others.  Also, as I was preparing for Nationals, I went through my bio and wrote down sample questions pertaining to my answers.  Then I practiced with my list of questions.  This really helped!

I wish you the best!

Blessings,

~Ciera

No comments:

Post a Comment